Split level house renovations bring both unique opportunities and unique challenges. the first step in evaluating the opportunities and challenges is understanding what type of split level you plan to renovate. There are essentially five kinds of split level house designs:
1. Split Foyer or Bi-Level – Composed of two levels, with the entry on A level midway between the two floors. a quick flight of stairs (usually 4-8) goes up and another short flight of stairs goes down. If the lower level of the house is built level with the ground, there’ll be stairs to the doorway . The lower level could even be at least partly below ground level.
2. Split Level – this type has either three or four levels and two or three short sets of stairs. the doorway is typically on a middle level and opens directly into a formal living room.
3. Stacked Renovation Contractor Johor – The stacked type has five or more levels with four or five short sets of stairs. The entry is on a middle floor, usually opening to a foyer with stairs going both up and down. The name springs from the very fact that additional bedrooms are “stacked” on top of the second living area. Many townhouses are of this type .
4. Split Entry – The entry to this type of house is between floors and is usually located in an entry area off the main house. a bit like the split foyer, steps lead both up and down from the entry.
5. Raised Ranch – this type of split level has two levels with a full flight of stairs and the entry into the lower floor. The living area is typically on the top floor, accessible by a staircase near the entry.
Split Level Homes were very fashionable within the 1950s, particularly within the East and therefore the Midwest. The house design is an adaptation that works well in construction of a house on uneven property. The house are often built into the side of a hill or slope very easily. These homes were designed to separate living areas from sleeping areas and to provide formal and informal living areas. they supply more privacy and quiet. Disadvantages include uneven heating and cooling and much of stairs. The heating and cooling challenge are often met by installing a zoned system. the quantity of stairs can be a particular challenge for the elderly and disabled. The challenge can, however, be met by installing a glide chair.
Other limitations of the type of design include a lower level laundry room, no main level bathroom, shared bathroom on the upper floor with the bedrooms, and a scarcity of openness within the living area (particularly as compared to many contemporary designs).
Remodeling challenges specific to separate Level Homes are:
o care must be exercised in opening up the formal living area regarding weight-bearing walls
o Many split levels have small rooms
o The steps between levels cannot be removed
o it’s difficult to make a defined entry area
o Moving things of the kitchen makes this type of renovation expensive
o It are often difficult to feature a level to some types of split levels without losing balance and external appeal
Most of these challenges can be overcome with creative thinking, careful planning, and detailed attention to the design . For the foremost part, it’s best to simply accept and work with the basic floor plan and modify access, flow between rooms, and a way of openness. it’s also usually a nasty idea to try to add another floor to a split level or to add on to the length of the existing house.
House renovation can become a stressful time with contradicting suggestions, an awesome amount of choice, and rising costs. However, when mapped out carefully, it becomes a satisfying experience watching your house slowly get a replacement look. Here are some tips which may make your house renovation less of a hassle and more of an enjoyment.
1. Crosscheck the contractor: Getting the proper contractor will set the tone for how your entire experience goes, so ensure you discover someone well recommended. If they need provided references, fill use of these , call them, and ask about the contractor. this doesn’t mean just his work skills but also how well he listens to the clients because you’ll be in constant contact with him.
2. Plan Ahead: This rule works well in any area of life. Don’t await the contractor to supply you options. Browse the web and talk to friends because the last thing you want is to end up spending a lot of money because you keep changing your mind.
3. House Rules: During your home renovation, there’ll be plenty of strangers getting into and out of your house who you can’t keep an eye on. If you’ve any rules like not smoking in the house, make it known right from the beginning .
4. Details Matter: ensure that every detail of the entire home renovation is taken down in writing by your contractor before you start with the work or put in your money. there’s nothing worse than going into this harrowing time then checking out that one part of your idea isn’t jotted down in your contract, so you’ve to finish up paying an additional amount for it.
5. Clean the Mess: it’s extremely important that the renovation crew cleans up every single day regardless of whether they will come back and create another mess or not. In most cases, the renovation will create a vast amount of dust and if it is left untended to, it’ll enter your heating or cooling system. this might lead to any amount of health problems.
With the next pointers , you’ll find it plenty easier to travel through your house renovation without losing your patience. The key, as stated above, is knowing what you’d like before time. Once you recognize this right right down to the last detail, your renovation will go smoothly.